March 23, 2015

General Conference Book Ring Books

Twice a year our family watches our church worldwide conference. (What is General Conference? Brief explanation here. ) Watching it via internet/roku/tv from the comforts of our home is so great and I try to have one new conference activity for the kids to help them pay attention better. Sometimes a new activity happens, sometimes not, but we have favorites we bring out only for those special conference weekends and repeats are fun too.

Since I haven't been crafting or creating much, this totally counts- I have my new activity done early and ready for Easter Saturday and Sunday- Book Ring Books! I'm so excited and so are the kids. Two weeks seems way too long to wait.

The idea is to have a card for each speaker during the four sessions of conference. When that speaker is talking, the kids will put stickers on the back of the speaker card according to their speaking subject. If he/she speaks about Easter, they put the Easter sticker. If he/she focuses on the topics of prayer and families then those two stickers go on the back of that speaker card. Similar activities like this have really helped my kids listen for the mention of those key words and topics.


How I did it:
I printed off pictures of the first presidency and quorum of the 12 apostles from Rachael's BookNook that she made. Cutting them all the same size to fit nicely in the book rings meant 3.5 inches by 2 5/8 inches.

Then I went through past conferences to count how many other speakers there are so I knew how many other cards to add to the books- In April there are usually 11 other speakers. Since we don't know who from the different auxiliaries or the quorum of the Seventy will be speaking we plan on writing the speakers' names on the front of the colored cards and then applying stickers to the back just like our photo cards. The stickers I just copied and pasted from the gospel pictures from lds.org. Then printed on sticker paper and cut out- ready to go! Enjoy conference!

March 28 & April 4-5, 2015 General Conference




No comments:

Post a Comment